Drunk SSB jawans throw their weapons off train
- Nitish trying to cheat Bihar, says Modi; CM replies PM disturbed with falling Sensex, GDP
- Manipur violence: Toll up to eight, three killed in police firing
- India script history, register first series win in Sri Lanka after 22 years
- Sheena, Mikhail my children, ready to undergo DNA test: Siddharth Das
- Market loses its nerve on weak GDP, Sensex tumbles 587 points
A Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) team has launched a combing operation in Farrukhabad district to recover five weapons and 20 live cartridges which were thrown off a train on Monday night by jawans who were under the influence of alcohol.
The jawans, who were returning in a special train from election duty in Gujarat, had a fight among themselves after getting drunk aboard the train. Some of them threw guns and other belongings off the train near Farrukhabad railway station on Monday night.
Next morning, when the train reached Lucknow, the jawans complained that their guns had been stolen from the train. An FIR was lodged at Lucknow Government Railway Police (GRP) station for theft against unidentified persons on the complaint of assistant commandant R B Singh.
Later, it was found that the jawans threw off the guns after a quarrel under the influence of alcohol, Lucknow GRP station in-charge Girija Shankar Tripathi said. The FIR has already been transferred to Farrukhabad GRP station as the incident took place in that jurisdiction, Tripathi added.
Avinash Chandra, SSB IG (Lucknow Frontier), said the jawans were drunk and they threw down four INSAS rifles and a carbine gun along with 20 live cartridges, 16 magazines and other belongings of five jawans. The jawans whose guns were thrown off were posted at the Lakhimpur-based battalion of the SSB, he said.