Drunk, Yeltsin left White House in briefs to buy pizza
- Putin calls Turkey's downing of Russian jet 'stab in the back'
- Today, world looks towards India with great faith: PM in Singapore
- Aamir Khan at RNG awards: Here is the complete conversation
- Bomb attack on Tunisia presidential guard bus kills 11
- BJP MLA suspended from Delhi Assembly for abusing AAP legislator Alka Lamba
Former Russian president Boris Yeltsin got so drunk during a visit to Washington that he was spotted standing outside the White House "in his underpants", trying to hail a taxi so that he could go out for a pizza.
The embarrassing detail about the extent of Yeltsin's drinking habits have been revealed by Bill Clinton in an oral history of his presidency — based on 79 taped interviews with historian Taylor Branch during his late-night visits to White House, The Times reported.
Clinton has also confided that the following night in 1995, a guard mistook Yeltsin for an intruder after the former Russian President was discovered stumbling drunkenly in the basement of the official visitor's residence at Blair's house. The next day, a drunk Yeltsin managed to give Secret Service the slip. Frantically looking for him, they found him in his underwear on Pennsylvania Avenue trying to get a taxi. He explained in slurred words that he wanted a pizza.
Speaking about his affair with Monica Lewinsky, the former US President said he felt sorry for himself and that "I cracked; I just cracked" under the pressure of personal and political setbacks, including the death of his mother and the loss of Congress to the Republicans in 1994.
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it
- For many Bangladeshis, they hint at closure for 1971
- The big question: Proper returns to farmers
- Delhi HC versus DDCA
- Frequent promulgation of ordinances has more to do with managerial ethos
- Indian peacekeeping abroad: Samantha Power shows some deft diplomacy