- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR face stiff CSK challenge in Dubai
Experts on why humidity and cold weather lead to an increase in hair loss and dryness of the scalp
Winter is a healthy season nutrition-wise since people tend to eat more, but hair care in this season is of utmost importance because low humidity and cold weather lead to brittleness and breakage.
Hair fall is common and the occurrence of dandruff is accelerated. Even styling your hair can be a problem because the weather does not provide the optimum conditions for a hair style to stay in place. Hair care during the winters can be tricky but manageable. "The cold weather is responsible for the drying effect on hair. Even oily hair become limp and if you stylise your hair, none of it stays for long. All the more, people tend to not wash their hair regularly which leads to a lot of dandruff. This combined with the dryness in the hair often leads to a itchy cycle which results in hair fall," says Dr Anshita Singh, a specialist in skin and hair problems. People tend to eat more during winter which is good for hair and skin care. Even the trend of sun bathing during winters is essential for the hair and skin since it provides vital vitamin D which is good for hair roots.
Doctors advise people not to use cosmetics and other artificial products if they face problems of dandruff or hair fall since the hair follicles, which are made of protein, fall because of hormonal changes and chemical products will only increase the problems. In the winter, usage of such products can lead to an increase in dandruff and itchiness in the scalp.
Dr Raju Shah, a dermatologist, Shastri Apartments Camp, says, "In winter the main problem is of dry skin; there is reduced sebum production which leads to dandruff. The condition is called Feborroebic dermatitis and is usually associated with hair fall. Also in the winter vasoconstriction occurs which leads to less blood supply resulting in less nutrient supply to the hair follicles." This reduction in nutrients can also lead to hair becoming weak.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'