DTC bus kills nilgai
- Hang me if I have committed crime, no apology: Modi
- Fifth phase of Lok Sabha elections in 121 seats on Thursday
- April 16 campaign roundup: Narendra Modi in firing line of Gandhis
- N Srinivasan faces serious charges, canât return until probe: Supreme Court
- Kolkata Knight Riders seal opener in comprehensive fashion
A DTC bus crushed a nilgai under its wheels near NCERT in South Delhi around 10 pm on Friday. Eyewitnesses told the police that the nilgai or antelope was crossing the road towards Qutab Institutional Area, when it was hit by a DTC bus plying on route number 680.
A teashop owner and JNU students told police that the bus driver had fled the spot after the incident.
Environmental activists said many nilgai cross roads in the Ridge and Aravali forest areas. "Nilgai often cross the road, to go from one part of the forest to another. Signages should be put up to indicate areas where animals cross the road because these can be dangerous for two-wheeler drivers," Dr Rahul Kaul, ecology expert at Wildlife Trust of India, said.
He said nilgai are difficult to spot at night due to their dark colour.
Kartick Satyanarayan, co-founder, Wildlife SOS, said: "Delhiites need to be more tolerant towards wildlife and also more compassionate."
- Teacher at school in Rohini accused of molesting eight-year-old girl: Police
- In Sushma seat, BJP tweaks Modi slogan
- In Rampur, Azam Khan charm wanes
- In Sambhal, what matters more than Modi is a railway link
- Cong, BJP don’t favour polls, to wait for LS results
- Purandeswari to contest from Rajampet on a BJP ticket