Dubai's ENBD to buy BNP Paribas Egypt arm for $500 mn
- With Air Force flypast, Republic Day parade concludes at Rajpath
- Republic Day celebrations pass off peacefully in Kashmir
- India, France talk tough on terror, stuck on Rafale price
- Continue to complain, rebel, demand, President Pranab Mukherjee tells nation
- Tamil Nadu suicides: College owner turns herself in
Emirates NBD, Dubai's largest bank, has agreed to buy BNP Paribas' Egyptian arm for $500 million, in a deal that will help the French lender shore up its capital while allowing the Dubai bank to expand its regional footprint.
The agreement is a fresh sign that despite continued political turmoil in Egypt, cash-rich Gulf investors remain keen to raise their presence in the country after last year's revolution there, even as European banks repair damaged balance sheets by selling some overseas units.
ENBD, majority-owned by the Dubai government, will buy BNP's 95.2 percent stake in its Egyptian arm and make an offer to minority shareholders for the remaining 4.8 percent, it said in a bourse statement on Thursday.
The transaction, which is expected to close by the end of the first quarter of 2013, values the business at 1.6 times its book value as of September 2012, ENBD said.
BNP, France's biggest listed bank, put its business in Egypt on the block in June, seeking to strengthen its capital base and exit non-core operations.
Industry sources told Reuters this week that ENBD had outbid Morocco's Attijariwafabank for the asset.
ENBD wants to expand its Dubai-centric business, having been hit in recent quarters by its exposure to debt-laden, state-linked entities in Dubai which have been forced to restructure billions of dollars of obligations.
"This deal represents an excellent opportunity for Emirates NBD to enter the promising Egyptian market and achieve our strategic aspiration of expanding regionally," the bank's chairman Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum said.
Last week, French lender Societe Generale agreed to sell a majority stake in its Egyptian arm to Qatar National Bank for $2 billion.
- Asset sales are the way for govt to protect credibility while avoiding procyclical fiscal stance
- Who killed Rohith Vemula?
- France and India: A most exceptional friendship
- Amit Shah’s re-election, backed by the RSS, firms up the party’s 2019 strategy
- Data shows that jihadi terrorism has actually declined
- Activists cry for Rohith but do they ever fight for true empowerment of Dalits?