Dutch legend de Nooijer signs up with HIL
- Army said unit was headed for IAF drill, ex-Air Chief says this was due only a month later
- Sau chuhe kha ke billi haj ko chali: Sushma on Rahul's anti-graft efforts
- China should shed expansionist mindset: Narendra Modi
- Days after former Mumbai commissioner, another top cop quits post to join BJP
- Allegations against Mata Amritanandamayi's ashram serious: Pinarayi Vijayan
With two months to go to the Hockey India League player auction, the league is steadily gaining momentum. A day after the Burman family, which promotes Dabur, was confirmed as the owner of HIL's Mumbai franchise, the league scooped one of its biggest names. Dutch legend and world's highest capped player, Teun de Nooijer will be among eight stars from Holland to feature in the player auction for the HIL in January next year. DeNooijer is not the first high profile name to associate himself with the league. Three time World Hockey Player of the Year, Australian Jamie Dwyer had earlier been named brand ambassador of the league.
De Nooijer, who debuted in 1994 retired last month after playing 453 international matches, and has always been a key member of the Dutch team. He participated in four Olympic Games — Atlanta 1996 (Gold), Sydney 2000 (Gold), Athens 2004 (Silver) and London 2012 (Silver) — with three World Cups including Utrecht 1998 (Gold), Kuala Lumpur 2006 (Bronze) and New Delhi (Bronze).
36-year-old de Nooijer was named FIH World Player of the year award in 2003, 2005 and 2006 and participated in nine Champions Trophy tournaments from 2000. Penalty corner specialist Taeke Taekema is another big star from the Netherlands who will be in the auction. The 32-year-old defender has experience of 239 internationals scoring 221 goals.
Taekema has been key member of Netherlands team in the Athens Olympics in 2004 (silver) scoring 7 goals and Beijing Games in 2008 (4th position) scoring maximum number of 11 goals. He participated in three World Cups (2002, 2006, 2010) and eight Champions Trophies since 2000 having won top scorer award during this event in 2002 and 2006.
Floris Evers, captain of silver medal winning Netherlands team in London Olympics, is also set to join the league.
- What should common man expect when PM’s killers are freed: Rahul on Jayalalithaa’s decision
- The regressive state | The Indian Express
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly
- Modi: Happy that my speeches contribute to nation’s coffers | The Indian Express