Earthquake preparedness activities held
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
As a run-up to the upcoming Mega Mock Drill on Earthquake Preparedness to be held on February 13 in Chandigarh, awareness generation activities were carried out by the UT Administration in the three-day long Chandigarh Carnival at the Leisure Valley.
On the first day, the evening was dedicated for artists from the north eastern states of India, especially Sikkim. Thus, to pay a tribute to victims of the Sikkim earthquake (18 th Sept'11) and to make the residents of Chandigarh aware about the seismic vulnerability of the city, a street play on the theme of earthquake preparedness was staged.
This was followed by a movie screening on lessons learnt from the Sikkim earthquake. During all the three days, senior Civil Defense Inspector Sanjeev Kohli gave a talk on preparedness to save oneself and family when a disaster strikes.
An animation film featuring famous character 'Dost Appu' was screened to capture the mind of one and all on the theme of earthquake preparedness.