EC announces polls in 3 states of Northeast
- If Pakistan has sympathy for Kashmiri youth, they shouldn’t provoke them to attack army camps: Mehbooba Mufti
- Dhaka cafe attack mastermind, 2 others killed in police encounter
- Rio 2016 review: What they did at home, what in Olympics
- Buzz of change in Maldives, Mohammed Nasheed flies secretly to Lanka
- Kashmir: Police constable shot dead by terrorists
The Election Commission on Thursday announced the schedule in February for assembly polls in three northeastern states of Tripura, Meghalaya and Nagaland besides by-elections to nine assembly seats in seven states.
Assembly elections in Tripura will be held on February 14 while in Meghalaya and Nagaland, they will be held on February 23.
Polling in the nine bye-elections will be held a day later, on February 24. Results, however, will be announced together on February 28.
With the announcement of the poll schedule, the model code of conduct will be in operation with immediate effect, a statement by the Election Commission said.
The Election Commission said electronic voting machines will be used in the elections to the three north-eastern states as well as in by-elections in the seven states.
- In Kashmir, so-called solutions are riddled with contradictions and divisions
- Why personal, social and political self-identification of Dalits must count more than legal nomenclature.
- The draft surrogacy bill violates the fundamental right of people to choose modes of parenthood
- Realpolitik drives Myanmar’s outreach to India and China
- Epidemics in India are seldom followed by a long-term response
- Pakistan army has a battle to win: The corruption within