EC gags state govt’s mouthpiece
- Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A, says it violates right to speech
- Pakistan Day: PM greets, MoS VK Singh tweets #disgust
- DK Ravi's death: Govt calls in CBI, tells court he had a ‘relationship’ with batchmate
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed says will take Army into confidence on AFSPA
- 1987 Hashimpura massacre: The photographs that stand witness
The state government's fortnightly mouthpiece, Gujarat, published by the information department in Gujarati and English, has been banned by the Election Commission till the elections.
Chief Electoral Officer Sanjiv Kumar told The Indian Express, "We have instructed the state's information department to stop the publication and distribution of Gujarat magazine following the model code of conduct. District collectors and other officials concerned have been asked to withdraw all issues published after the model code of conduct in their respective areas." Gujarat has a circulation of over 2.5 lakh.
On Thursday, copies of the magazine were seized in bulk by election officials and police in many parts of the state. In Vadodara alone, 50,000 copies were seized.
The magazine publishes the state government's achievements and new initiatives along with photos of the CM and his ministers.