EC gets HC notice over rejection of candidature
- India’s surgical strikes along LoC show intent to act strongly against terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls up Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror'
- PM Modi holds Cabinet Committee on Security meeting; Rajnath, Jaitley, Doval present
- Narendra Modi's review meet on MFN status to Pak postponed to next week
- Day after sharing terror information with Pakistan, NIA revises details
Congress candidate for Visavadar constituency has challenged poll panel's decision.
The Gujarat High Court on Thursday issued notices to Election Commission authorities in connection with a petition moved by Congress candidate for Visavadar constituency Ratilal Mangroliya, challenging EC's decision to reject his candidature.
Mangroliya's lawyer B B Naik said the court has issued notices to different authorities of the EC and posted the matter for further hearing on Friday.
The EC had cancelled Mangroliya's nomination after he failed to provide the party's 'mandate' in time.
Congress leaders have said Mangroliya could not submit the mandate in time because some unknown person snatched away his mandate form while he was going to submit it.
The petition demands that since the delay was caused due to a law and order situation, he could not be held responsible for the same and so his nomination cannot be cancelled.
Caste certificates: PIL seeking new EC branch rejected
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- Telescope: From Fawad Khan to Kalki Koechlin, journeys to keep an eye on
- Shouldn’t weekly off day be a matter of choice, instead of being dictated by law?
- India’s search for alternatives to regional forum must quicken
- Struggle against caste system & capitalism are inextricably linked
- Power struggle within weakens Samajwadi Party already undergoing an identity crisis in UP