EC gets HC notice over rejection of candidature
- Espionage racket with ISI links busted in Jammu, Kolkata; BSF jawan among five arrested
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to attend UN climate summit
- Nepal releases 13 SSB personnel after brief detention
- Turkey to hand over body of dead Russian pilot to Moscow: PM
- Bhushan challenges Kejriwal for public debate on Lokpal Bill
Congress candidate for Visavadar constituency has challenged poll panel's decision.
The Gujarat High Court on Thursday issued notices to Election Commission authorities in connection with a petition moved by Congress candidate for Visavadar constituency Ratilal Mangroliya, challenging EC's decision to reject his candidature.
Mangroliya's lawyer B B Naik said the court has issued notices to different authorities of the EC and posted the matter for further hearing on Friday.
The EC had cancelled Mangroliya's nomination after he failed to provide the party's 'mandate' in time.
Congress leaders have said Mangroliya could not submit the mandate in time because some unknown person snatched away his mandate form while he was going to submit it.
The petition demands that since the delay was caused due to a law and order situation, he could not be held responsible for the same and so his nomination cannot be cancelled.
Caste certificates: PIL seeking new EC branch rejected
- Ahead of the Paris summit, India has been again targeted as a spoiler
- Shunning coal not viable for India; World needs to come together to make it cleaner
- Detained at IFFI: You can chain our hands, but you can't choke our voices
- How 'secular', 'socialist' came to be part of Constitution, and why they remain
- Next door Nepal: Blaming the neighbour
- True economic reform is one that makes a clean break from the past