EC slaps poll code violation notice on MP minister
- Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi taken for questioning over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- Doctors in UP call off strike after Allahabad HC's intervention
- Ukraine crisis: Crimea sets referendum on whether to join Russia
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
The Election Commission Wednesday slapped a notice against Madhya Pradesh Industries Minister Kailash Vijayvargiya for making "contemptuous" remarks against the model code of conduct and distributing money.
Taking cognisance of his criticism of the model code at a programme of Rajput Sabha in Bhopal on October 14, the EC said that by doing so he has shown "utter disrespect and disregard" to the provisions of the code and asked him to reply by October 18.
"You have made contemptuous remarks and have shown utter disrespect and disregard to the provisions of the model code of conduct. This is also not in keeping with the high constitutional post that you occupy.
"Now, therefore, the Election Commission of India calls upon you to explain by 17.00 hours of October 18, 2013 as to why action should not be taken against you for the above mentioned violations of the Model Code of Conduct," the commission notice slapped on him said.
The EC said in case he did not reply within the prescribed time limit, it will be presumed that he has nothing to say and the commission will proceed to take appropriate action without any further reference to him.
This is the first poll code violation notice ever since Assembly elections in Madhya Pradesh and four other states were announced by the poll body on October 4. The Model Code of Conduct is in force in all the five poll-bound states of Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Delhi and Mizoram.
The minister is also accused of distributing money to drum players during the 'Chunri Yatra' conducted by an organisation called 'Sarthi' on October 11, 2013, which is in violation of the model code.
He is also accused of promising (during a Dussehra function at Satya Sai Chauraha) to make a good Udyog Bhawan next year in Vijay Nagar, also a poll code violation.
- Chavan sweetens deal for slum-dwellers
- ‘Buildings with approved layout plan should be exempted from SC order’
- WR puts brakes on new suburban services
- UP Doctors Protest: SP MLA booked as strike called off
- Raj Thackeray initiates talks with fringe parties
- Ministers, corporators fight over credit for public projects