EC transfers Prajapati encounter accused, 5 other cops
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Dhowan takes over as Navy Chief, superseded Sinha resigns
- Election Commission lifts ban on BJP leader Amit Shah after he promises to behave
The Election Commission on Thursday transferred six police officers, including DySP R K Patel who was chargesheeted by the CBI in the Tulsiram Prajapati encounter case. Patel was transferred back to the CID (crime) where he had probed the encounter before the central agency took over the case.
Patel had investigated the Prajapati case in 2010 and had arrested IPS officers D G Vanzara, Rajkumar Pandian and Dinesh MN, who are accused in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh encounter case.
In his chargesheet filed in a Danta court, Patel had given a clean chit to former minister Amit Shah. His chargesheet was based on call records of former investigating officer of the case Geetha Johri, the then IGP (Crime).
The CBI, which also based its investigations on the call records along with other proofs, had found Shah involved in conspiracy and execution of the encounter of Prajapati on December 28 2006.
CBI has chargesheeted Patel for leaving loopholes in the investigation of the case. He has also been accused of shielding Pandian during CID's investigations.
Besides Patel, the EC transferred Surat ACP K S Trivedi, M B Joshi of Gandhinagar, Tapi DySP N M Parmar, in charge of security at Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation S R Solanki and ASP Nirlipt Rai.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer