EC transfers Prajapati encounter accused, 5 other cops
- Why Germanwings flight A320 might have crashed over the French Alps
- Indian Navy surveillance aircraft crashes in Goa; two officers missing
- Section 66A: 21 individuals whose petitions changed the system
- Government is willing to compromise on land bill: Venkaiah Naidu
- A little reminder: No one in House debated Section 66A, Congress brought it and BJP backed it
The Election Commission on Thursday transferred six police officers, including DySP R K Patel who was chargesheeted by the CBI in the Tulsiram Prajapati encounter case. Patel was transferred back to the CID (crime) where he had probed the encounter before the central agency took over the case.
Patel had investigated the Prajapati case in 2010 and had arrested IPS officers D G Vanzara, Rajkumar Pandian and Dinesh MN, who are accused in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh encounter case.
In his chargesheet filed in a Danta court, Patel had given a clean chit to former minister Amit Shah. His chargesheet was based on call records of former investigating officer of the case Geetha Johri, the then IGP (Crime).
The CBI, which also based its investigations on the call records along with other proofs, had found Shah involved in conspiracy and execution of the encounter of Prajapati on December 28 2006.
CBI has chargesheeted Patel for leaving loopholes in the investigation of the case. He has also been accused of shielding Pandian during CID's investigations.
Besides Patel, the EC transferred Surat ACP K S Trivedi, M B Joshi of Gandhinagar, Tapi DySP N M Parmar, in charge of security at Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation S R Solanki and ASP Nirlipt Rai.