Eggs, chicken flying off plates on cost
- By taking my passport or arresting me, they are not getting any money: Mallya
- BJP MP Swamy challenges expunging of his comments in Rajya Sabha
- Gujarat announces 10 per cent EBC quota, will apply to all whose annual family income is Rs 6 lakh or less
- Cabinet, BJP rejig around May 19 when state results come in
- Middleman left country day after CBI opened probe, trail leads to doors of Cong bigwigs: Minister Prasad
Eggs and chicken are likely to cost more in the coming months following 69 percent jump in poultry feed prices this year due to lack of rainfall and higher global rates.
Average prices of poultry feed consisting of oilseed cakes, rice bran, grounded maize and soya-rose by 69 percent year-on-year in July, up from 18 per cent in June, due to lack of rainfall and higher global prices.
Feed is a key input in poultry farming and this sharp price increase suggests that cost of eggs and chicken (protein food items) may rise sharply in coming months, research firm Nomura said in its report here.
If farmers choose to substitute poultry feed with cereals then prices for cereals could rise as well, it said.
Rising feed prices are an early indicator of the potential impact that the deficient monsoons could have on food prices.
As delayed monsoons hurt production of vegetables, cereal and oilseeds, we expect wholesale price index (WPI) food (primary and manufactured) inflation, which is currently 9 percent y-o-y, to rise into double digits in the coming months. This will keep both WPI and consumer price index (CPI) inflation elevated above the central bank's comfort zone, the report said.
- India’s jobless growth is undermining its ability to reap the demographic dividend
- They may harm rather than preserve religious freedom
- Increased public expenditure on health, education be considered to assess poverty
- Obama did make a studied effort to emerge as a forward-looking world statesman
- It is clear now that Pakistan generals are unimpressed by the Modi initiative
- Governance in Kerala is superior to that in Bihar. State rankings are a fraught exercise