Eight killed in firecracker unit explosion in UP
Eight people, including seven of a family, were charred to death and eight more suffered serious burn injuries after a fire broke out in the house of a firecracker manufacturer in Bela police station area of Auraiya district late on Monday night. The fire, which triggered a high-intensity explosion, also spread to three neighbouring houses.
Auraiya SP Sanjai Kakkar said two brothers, Maujilal and Ram Narayan, of Tidua village had a licence for manufacture and sale of firecrackers at a place outside the village. But they had stored the firecrackers at their home, where the incident took place. Both men are absconding. A case has been registered against them under the IPC and Explosives Act.
The incident took place at around 11 pm at Maujilal's house, when his family members and some local children were reportedly packing the firecrackers. The explosion blew out the walls and roof of the house. The fire spread to the neighbouring houses owned by Maujilal's brothers, Ram Narayan and Ram Avtar. Since firecrackers were stored in these houses as well, the fire sparked explosions there too.
The victims have been identified as Maujilal's daughter Guddan (18), his daughter-in-law Nanhi (35), his four minor grandchildren, Ram Avtar's daughter Khushbu (20) and a local boy Shivam (12).
- Candidates steering towards auto unions to rev up support
- ‘Will send builders of illegal structures to jail’
- To root out corruption, vote for change and give the new face a chance, says Bains
- Green campaign: Phoolka to ride cycle, Bittu talks of birds
- SUV driver hits car, tries to run over inspector at naka; cases registered
- Parties cash in on Sunday mood, star appeal for votes