Eight Surat gangrape suspects sent to six-day police remand
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- Will not campaign for any candidate, says Anna Hazare
'Some of the suspects work in textile firms while few others are jobless. We have launched a hunt for two absconding suspects'
All the eight suspects arrested in the gangrape of a 23-year-old woman were sent to six days in police custody by a local court on Friday afternoon. The police also carried out HIV tests of the suspects in the New Civil Hospital on Thursday afternoon.
Surat police had on Thursday arrested eight persons out of 10 allegedly involved in the gangrape case from Nagsennagar in Pandesara. They were identified as Ganesh Sahebrao Sonavne (23), Nana Sitaram Parmeshwar (22), Vijay Dhivre (21), Rajesh Pundalik (24), Govinda Bhagwan Sirsath (22), Krishna Damu Mahale (20), Balram Devraj Jayna (20), Ajay Raju Dodish (19). All of them are below 25 years of age and youngest among them is of 19-year-old boy.
The police also seized a motorcycle used by the two suspects who had reportedly taken the victim sex worker from Majuragate area and later drove her to Pandesara at Bamroli. The police took them to the New Civil Hospital for medical examinations. The samples taken by the doctors were later sent to Forensic Science Laboratory for further tests.
On Friday evening, the police produced all the eight before a court for obtaining remand with the grounds to arrest two more suspects involved in the case and whether they had earlier committed such crime or not.
The victim is being given medical treatment by volunteers of Sahyog NGO at their premises.
The crime branch police inspector N P Gohil said, "Some of the arrested suspects work in textile firms while few others are jobless. We have also launched a hunt for the two other suspect involved in the case, but they are still at large."
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today