Ekta Kapoor: Men's mentality in India a problem
- Vijay Mallya tells SC he is willing to pay Rs 4000 crores of bank loans
- 18-year-old madrasa student’s arm broken for not saying ‘Jai Mata Ki’
- Pakistan's 'spy' video raises questions, his India trail offers clues
- PM Modi arrives in Belgium to attend India-EU summit
- Uttarakhand crisis: Centre moves HC challenging its order for floor test
Producer Ekta Kapoor, who has been behind controversial films like Love Sex Aur Dhoka, Kya Super Cool Hai Hum and Ragini MMS, believes Indian men need to change their mentality towards women.
"Mentality of men in India is becoming a problem. Men do not feel any social responsibility. Our culture is stopping women everytime. The main idea behind making The Dirty Picture was to make people aware of women's sexuality.
"When John Abraham goes shirtless nobody has a problem but when our actresses do that everyone wants to chop off that scene," Ekta said while speaking on the topic of 'Sex, Nudity, Dance Numbers and the kiss' during the Centenary Film Festival here.
Ekta was reproached for promoting witchcraft for her last release Ek Thi Daayan.The 37-year-old producer said she was shocked to be blamed like this.
"It was a horror film and I didn't promote any witchcraft in it. I even got a letter from National Commission of Women where to my surprise, I was charged for using the Nirbhaya issue during the promotion of the film. I used a bus which was titled 'The bus to hell' and they assumed I roped in the rape case to promote my film," said Ekta.
The producer believes that Dabangg 2 item number Fevicol se was criticised unnecessarily because the film had a very progressive approach towards women.
"I appreciate Salman and Arbaaz for their progressive thinking and incorporating the same in the film. Arbaaz very well utilised Salman's stardom to highlight the responsibilities a man towards his wife and society. There were four scenes in the film that really took me by surprise," Ekta said.
- Uttarakhand shows how BJP promises of cooperative federalism
- There was ghar wapsi and beef. Nationalism has been added to the list
- India has found itself a new hero in Virat Kohli
- The legend of parachuting cats
- Punjab’s fair weather critics
- Bharat Mata pivot gives BJP a narrative to link what the RSS wants