Elders worried over threats to sarpanches, panches in J-K
- Live, Ind vs Aus: Quick strikes put India on top
- Bengal nun gangrape: First arrest made from Mumbai
- Germanwings crash: Chilling report says one pilot left cockpit, was unable to return
- If anything that is defamatory goes off, we will have a very boring Internet: Jaitley
- Hooda govt bent rules to favour Robert Vadra firm: CAG
BJP members today expressed serious concern in Rajya Sabha over the threats by militants to newly-elected sarpanches and panches in Jammu and Kashmir and urged the government to pay serious attention to it.
Drawing the attention of the House during Zero Hour, party member Avinash Rai Khanna said militants have put out posters asking them to resign or face consequences.
Fearing that this trend could catch up in other states having problems of extremism and naxalism, Khanna said those who do not believe in democracy could adopt this new method to terrorise public representatives.
"Today it has happened in Jammu and Kashmir. It can happen in any other state tomorrow," he said, asking the government to take up the matter seriously.