Election Commission pulls up Tripura Congress MLA
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
The Election Commission has reprimanded Tripura Congress MLA Birajit Sinha for violating the Model Code of Conduct by making remarks against Chief Minister Manik Sarkar about his alleged parleys with extremists and advised him to desist from such acts in future.
Sinha, an MLA from Kailasahar constituency, had held a press conference on January 22 where he alleged that "Chief Minister Manik Sarkar had made secret parleys with extremists to create breach of peace and tranquility in the state and castigate the Congress as responsible for this."
"The Commission has decided to reprimand Shri Birajit Sinha for the above violation of the Model Code of Conduct and has further advised him to desist from such acts in future," an EC order said.
Tripura goes to polls on February 14 to elect its 60- member assembly. The Model Code of Conduct was enforced in the state on January 11, the day the poll body announced the schedule for elections.