Election day firing: Gujarat BJP MLA held for murder bid
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Modi: Omar Abdullah
- Supreme Court lifts mining ban in Goa, caps iron ore volume
- PMO begins work on Presidentâs Parliament speech for next govt
- In this TN seat, Cong, BJP and AAP take centrestage
- To prevent polarisation, EC tells Delhi Police âdonât publicise workâ
Jetha Bharwad, BJP MLA from Shehra in the Panchmahals, was arrested Friday after a court rejected his anticipatory bail plea in connection with the poll day firing that injured four persons.
Bharwad had allegedly fired his bodyguard's gun near a poll booth at Tarsang village in his constituency on December 17. The court rejected his bail plea primarily on the grounds that prima facie there was evidence against him, prosecutor A A Hasan said.
"The court also noted that three of the four injured were still in critical condition," said Hasan, adding that while rejecting the anticipatory bail plea, the judge noted that none of the four injured belonged to any political party.
Godhra SP Sachin Badshah said Bharwad was arrested on charges of attempt to murder and possession of arms after his bail plea was rejected.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready