Election day firing: Gujarat BJP MLA held for murder bid
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
Jetha Bharwad, BJP MLA from Shehra in the Panchmahals, was arrested Friday after a court rejected his anticipatory bail plea in connection with the poll day firing that injured four persons.
Bharwad had allegedly fired his bodyguard's gun near a poll booth at Tarsang village in his constituency on December 17. The court rejected his bail plea primarily on the grounds that prima facie there was evidence against him, prosecutor A A Hasan said.
"The court also noted that three of the four injured were still in critical condition," said Hasan, adding that while rejecting the anticipatory bail plea, the judge noted that none of the four injured belonged to any political party.
Godhra SP Sachin Badshah said Bharwad was arrested on charges of attempt to murder and possession of arms after his bail plea was rejected.