Elections 2012: Gujarat votes for the personality cult, devp
Trends show that Gujaratis voted heavily for Narendra Modi's development model, but did not reject the Congress's dream home altogether.
The defeat of Kanubhai Kalsaria is a case in point. As a BJP MLA-turned-activist, he led a successful movement against the Nirma cement plant in Mahuva taluka of Bhavnagar but lost at the electoral post. His outfit, Sadbhavana Manch had set up five candidates on the coastline constituencies. A vindication of the development model is the trend that BJP was leading or winning areas covered by Special Economic Zones.
However, the party saw some upsets like ministers Dileep Sanghani (Amreli), Praful Patel (Himmatnagar), Fakirbhai Vaghela (Vadgam) and Jayanarayan Vyas (Sidhpur), who lost.
- Youth Akali Dal leaders open fire in front of Akali leader’s home, 3 hurt
- Raarewala market: Shopkeepers threaten LS election boycott; Ayali, mayor swing into action
- Techie murder: 2 months on, cops land in UP on wild goose chase, lens on taxi, auto drivers
- Deoband cleric declares support for Narendra Modi
- Row in British parliament complex over Narendra Modi’s past
- Autorickshaws in Bangalore to get GPS makeover