Elephant found dead, officials suspect foul play
- After death of 15-year-old in Narbal, J&K police say troops violated SOP
- Ahead of Kisan rally, Rahul Gandhi meets delegation of farmers
- AAP rebel Yogendra Yadav calls show cause notice a joke
- Suicide bombing in eastern Afghanistan kills 30, injures over 80
- First Germany, now UK objects to India ‘breach’ of secret bank data
An elephant was found dead in Jalpaiguri district on Tuesday with forest officials suspecting that it was electrocuted by villagers.
The five-year-old female elephant was found dead at Gajolduba colony area near Baikuntapur forest of the district.
Electric wires were found near the body and officials suspect that the elephant was electrocuted as the villagers put up electric wires near the fields to protect the crops.
Only a postmortem will reveal the true cause of the death of the elephant, said forest officials, adding the body has been sent for a postmortem.
Last night, a herd of elephants had come out of the Baikuntapur forest and the five-year-old elephant was also part of the herd, they said.