Elephant found dead, officials suspect foul play
- Govt signs peace accord with NSCN(IM), PM Modi calls it 'historic'
- BJP takes U-turn on land bill, agrees to bring back UPA's key provisions
- Crisis deepens: Speaker suspends 25 Cong MPs, Sonia digs in heels
- India to take up Gurdaspur terror attack in NSA-level talks with Pakistan
- JBT scam: Supreme Court upholds jail term of Om Prakash Chautala, his son
An elephant was found dead in Jalpaiguri district on Tuesday with forest officials suspecting that it was electrocuted by villagers.
The five-year-old female elephant was found dead at Gajolduba colony area near Baikuntapur forest of the district.
Electric wires were found near the body and officials suspect that the elephant was electrocuted as the villagers put up electric wires near the fields to protect the crops.
Only a postmortem will reveal the true cause of the death of the elephant, said forest officials, adding the body has been sent for a postmortem.
Last night, a herd of elephants had come out of the Baikuntapur forest and the five-year-old elephant was also part of the herd, they said.