Elephant found dead, officials suspect foul play
- Hate speeches: Modi breaks his silence, says petty statements by 'BJP well wishers deviating poll campaign'
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Sharad Pawar attacks Narendra Modi over 'power concentration' in one man
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- Centre calls off trip over China no to Arunachal youth
- How is it our responsibility to stop Modi, ask Faizabadâs Muslims
An elephant was found dead in Jalpaiguri district on Tuesday with forest officials suspecting that it was electrocuted by villagers.
The five-year-old female elephant was found dead at Gajolduba colony area near Baikuntapur forest of the district.
Electric wires were found near the body and officials suspect that the elephant was electrocuted as the villagers put up electric wires near the fields to protect the crops.
Only a postmortem will reveal the true cause of the death of the elephant, said forest officials, adding the body has been sent for a postmortem.
Last night, a herd of elephants had come out of the Baikuntapur forest and the five-year-old elephant was also part of the herd, they said.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready