Elephant found dead, officials suspect foul play
- India's arms build-up will force Pakistan to take deterrence: Nawaz Sharif
- Nawaz Sharif heckled during speech in Washington
- Sahitya Akademi condemns MM Kalburgi's murder, appeals to writers to take back awards
- Malayalam novelist Sarah Joseph says issue of taking back Sahitya Akademi award does not arise
- VK Singh's dog remark: Can't get away by saying statement misinterpreted, says Rajnath Singh
An elephant was found dead in Jalpaiguri district on Tuesday with forest officials suspecting that it was electrocuted by villagers.
The five-year-old female elephant was found dead at Gajolduba colony area near Baikuntapur forest of the district.
Electric wires were found near the body and officials suspect that the elephant was electrocuted as the villagers put up electric wires near the fields to protect the crops.
Only a postmortem will reveal the true cause of the death of the elephant, said forest officials, adding the body has been sent for a postmortem.