Eminent Asians honoured in London
- India’s surgical strikes along LoC show intent to act strongly against terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls up Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror'
- PM Modi holds Cabinet Committee on Security meeting; Rajnath, Jaitley, Doval present
- Narendra Modi's review meet on MFN status to Pak postponed to next week
- Day after sharing terror information with Pakistan, NIA revises details
Eminent personalities of the Indian diaspora, including steel tycoon Lakshmi Mittal and cricketer-turned-politician Mohammad Azharuddin, were among a host of Asians honoured here for their contribution in various fields.
In its seventh year now, the 'Asian Voice Political and Public Life Awards' are held annually to honour people who have an impact on the Asian Community, especially Indians, in the UK.
The ceremony is held in the Members' Dining Room of the House of Commons of the British Parliament, and is attended by many high profile figures from the Asian community in the UK.
Steel tycoon and the richest man in UK, Lakshmi Mittal, chairman and CEO of Arcelor Mittal, was given the 'Changing the Face of Britain Award' in last night's ceremony for the 2013 edition.
The award was received by Sudhir Maheswari, one of his relations, on his behalf.
Mohammad Azharuddin, Member of Indian Parliament from Moradabad, Uttar Pradesh, and former captain of the Indian cricket team, got the award for 'Influence in Indian politics'.
In his brief remarks, Azharuddin said "though I had a long innings in cricket, in politics it is just four years.This is one of the best awards I have received."
Among other prominent recipients were Prabhat Verma, General Manager of 51-Buckingham Gate, a Taj Group Hotel in Westminster London.
He received the 'International Cooperation between the UK and India Award' for his efforts to make the hotel among the best 5 hotels in London and amongst the best 10 UK hotels, according to Trip Advisor's ratings.
"I represent the Taj group of hotels owned by the Tatas and it is a great privilege to work for the Group. I thank my team members for our achievements," Verma said.
Deepak Kuntawala, Chairman of the DVK Group, a global commodity trading and finance organisation, was awarded the 'Entrepreneur of the Year'.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment
- Edit - Come clean