Empress of Kathak
- Not RSSâ job to chant âNamo, Namoâ, canât cross limits: Mohan Bhagwat
- Malaysia Airlines flight case: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
Nritya Samragini (the empress of dance) is what Rabindranath Tagore called Sitara Devi when she was just 16. Seventy eight years later, she has managed to retain the title with the same verve and magic. On Thursday evening, Devi was conferred with the Legends of India Lifetime Achievement Award 2011 at Silver Oak, India Habitat Centre, in Delhi, for her contribution to the development of Kathak. Besides Sitara Devi, TV Gopalakrishnan was awarded for his contribution to the Indian classical music through Mridangam.
In the past, prominent figures such as Chandralekha, Girija Devi, Yamini Krishnamurthy, Mrinalini Sarabhai and Buddhadeb Dasgupta have been the recipients of this award. Lalit Mansingh, member of the selection committee, said, "The selection committee had a difficult task in choosing the awardees. We finally selected Sitara Devi for her unparalleled contribution to music, and Gopalakrishnan, who is a versatile vocalist-cum-musician." The selection committee also comprised of Shanta Serbjeet Singh, vice-chairperson of the Sangeet Natak Akademi; dance critic Leela Venkatraman; Ashok Vajpeyi, chairman of the Lalit Kala Akademi, among others.
Former attorney general, Soli J Sorabjee, who chaired the committee, said, "Sitara Devi has enthralled generations with her unique dance style. Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore rightly described her as the Nritya Samragini, and the epithet continues."
The ceremony also launched the Legends of India Annual Sangeet Mahotsab on Friday at the Kamani Auditorium, which will go on till September 4.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress