Encounter cops leave for Mumbai amid heavy security
- Target Uttar Pradesh: Narendra Modi goes to Varanasi, Rajnath Singh heads to Lucknow
- TRS rules out alliance with Congress in Lok Sabha, Assembly polls
- AAP releases sixth list; Tribal activist Soni Sori and Shazia Ilmi get tickets
- The trophy state: Behind Mizoram's clean sweep lies an extraordinary league
- Court imposes fine of Rs 2,500 each on Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia
Sohrabuddin case Vanzara & Co will be produced in court today nearly two months after SC shifted the trial to Maharashtra.
Amid heavy security, nine police officers accused in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case left for Mumbai on Thursday morning. They will be produced before Mumbai's Killa metropolitan court on Friday, nearly two months after the Supreme Court shifted the case trial to Maharashtra.
The nine, which include suspended IPS officers D G Vanzara, Rajkumar Pandian and Dinesh M N, will halt in Surat jail tonight and resume journey early Friday morning.
They are expected to be produced before the Mumbai court by 11 am.
A team of 52 policemen led by a deputy commissioner of police is escorting the accused. It includes one ACP, 20 "Chetak" Black Cat Commandos and 20 personnel from the state's Special Operation Group (SOG) and Detection of Crime Branch.
Since Vanzara enjoys Z category security, he was sent in a separate vehicle while others were driven in a bus.
Police said they are yet to get any notice for shifting the accused policemen from Ahmedabad Central Jail to Mumbai for good. Therefore, after production, the accused will be brought back to Ahmedabad.
Two other accused police officers, Abhay Chudasama and N K Amin, were not taken to the Mumbai court due to health problems. The two are currently lodged at Nadiad jail and Vadodara Central Jail, respectively.
On September 27, the Supreme Court had shifted case to Mumbai following CBI appeal that witnesses might be intimidated if the trial is run in Ahmedabad.
- BJP projected to sweep Gujarat, Rajasthan, Karnataka; Congress to get big jolt in Maharashtra
- Editors body slams Arvind Kejriwal for ‘irresponsible’ media remark, says it is a sign of ‘weakness’
- I skiI skipped rally because I was misled: Anna Hazare
- Trouble for Khobragade as govt finds daughters have US, Indian passports