Encounter specialist Barot seeks 45-day bail for daughter's wedding
- Elections 2014 Live: Polling stopped at a booth in Bihar after officials recover cane bomb
- Modi tukde tukde kar dega... ladaa dega, says Rahul
- Congress not aggressive enough, says Sharad Pawar
- NSCN (IM) takes over Manipur booths, loads EVMs with votes
- Two CRPF jawans killed in Bihar before start of polling
The Gujarat Police's "encounter specialist" Tarun Barot — who is currently lodged in judicial custody in Sadiq Jamal Mehtar encounter case, filed an application in a special CBI court seeking 45 days' temporary bail on Wednesday for his daughter's wedding.
Barot was arrested in September, 2012, when he was posted as deputy superintendent of police in Mehsana in connection with the fake encounter by the CBI. Later, he was arrested in Ishrat Jahan and three other encounter cases the next year. He was granted default bail in Ishrat Jahan case, but remains in judicial custody in Jamal case.
Currently lodged in Nadiad sub-jail, Barot stated in the application that his "daughter is getting married on January 21, and therefore he needs 45 days' temporary bail". Barot is chargesheeted by the CBI in the Sadiq encounter case with charges that he brought the Bhavnagar lad from Mumbai, days before he was shot in Ahmedabad.
In Ishrat Jahan case, the CBI claimed that it was Barot who brought AK-56 rifle and planted at the site of encounter. The weapon was planted on one of the alleged terrorist Amjadali Rana. Barot is also accused of firing three rounds during the encounter.The court will hear the matter on Thursday.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi