Encounter specialist Barot seeks 45-day bail for daughter's wedding
- 15 security personnel killed as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Missing Malaysia airline: Man travelling on stolen passport identified as Iranian
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
The Gujarat Police's "encounter specialist" Tarun Barot — who is currently lodged in judicial custody in Sadiq Jamal Mehtar encounter case, filed an application in a special CBI court seeking 45 days' temporary bail on Wednesday for his daughter's wedding.
Barot was arrested in September, 2012, when he was posted as deputy superintendent of police in Mehsana in connection with the fake encounter by the CBI. Later, he was arrested in Ishrat Jahan and three other encounter cases the next year. He was granted default bail in Ishrat Jahan case, but remains in judicial custody in Jamal case.
Currently lodged in Nadiad sub-jail, Barot stated in the application that his "daughter is getting married on January 21, and therefore he needs 45 days' temporary bail". Barot is chargesheeted by the CBI in the Sadiq encounter case with charges that he brought the Bhavnagar lad from Mumbai, days before he was shot in Ahmedabad.
In Ishrat Jahan case, the CBI claimed that it was Barot who brought AK-56 rifle and planted at the site of encounter. The weapon was planted on one of the alleged terrorist Amjadali Rana. Barot is also accused of firing three rounds during the encounter.The court will hear the matter on Thursday.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express