Encounter specialist Barot seeks 45-day bail for daughter's wedding
- Rahul on leave before budget session, BJP says people have already sent Cong on long leave
- 21 more deaths due to swine flu, toll reaches 833
- Anna protests against Land Acquisition Bill in Delhi, lashes out at Modi govt
- Budget: Finance Minister may announce policy plans to combat blackmoney
- Land Acquisition Act "suitably refined": President Pranab Mukherjee
The Gujarat Police's "encounter specialist" Tarun Barot — who is currently lodged in judicial custody in Sadiq Jamal Mehtar encounter case, filed an application in a special CBI court seeking 45 days' temporary bail on Wednesday for his daughter's wedding.
Barot was arrested in September, 2012, when he was posted as deputy superintendent of police in Mehsana in connection with the fake encounter by the CBI. Later, he was arrested in Ishrat Jahan and three other encounter cases the next year. He was granted default bail in Ishrat Jahan case, but remains in judicial custody in Jamal case.
Currently lodged in Nadiad sub-jail, Barot stated in the application that his "daughter is getting married on January 21, and therefore he needs 45 days' temporary bail". Barot is chargesheeted by the CBI in the Sadiq encounter case with charges that he brought the Bhavnagar lad from Mumbai, days before he was shot in Ahmedabad.
In Ishrat Jahan case, the CBI claimed that it was Barot who brought AK-56 rifle and planted at the site of encounter. The weapon was planted on one of the alleged terrorist Amjadali Rana. Barot is also accused of firing three rounds during the encounter.The court will hear the matter on Thursday.