Engineersí strike enters day 2
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
The pen down strike of the Operation and Maintenance Cell and Building Department engineers entered second day on Friday.
The engineers are protesting because one of their junior engineers, Ashwini, has been booked under Section 304 of the IPC after sewerman Naresh Kumar died while he was trying to clear the sewer lines in Focal Point about a week back. Another employee was also injured in this episode.
On Friday, the protesters met Mayor H S Gohalwaria, seeking justice. President of the association Joginder Singh Sandhu said the JE was not even present at the spot while the routine cleaning drive was on. So, the FIR against him should be quashed.
Sandhu said if they did not get justice, the engineers would intensify their stir. Due to shortage of JEs, the JE in question had more than 11 wards to take care of, and hence fixing his responsibility was not justified.