England's top medical officer terms homeopathy as 'rubbish'
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal to file nomination from Varanasi tomorrow; Cong slams Modi for levelling 'cheap' allegations against Gandhi family
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- IPL spot fixing: Do you want to probe charges against Srinivasan? SC asks Justice Mudgal panel
- Hate speeches: Petty statements by those claiming to be BJP well wishers deviating poll campaign, says Modi
Britain's chief medical officer has termed homeopathic treatment as 'rubbish' and practitioners of homeopathy as 'peddlers', and said such treatments do not have any place in the country's National Health Service (NHS). Concerned over the fact that homeopaths can still prescribe medicines to combat critical diseases, Professor Dame Sally Davies said that homeopathy works only because of the 'placebo effect- the belief that any benefits perceived by the patients are caused by their optimistic views and their faith in the physician, the Daily Mail reports.
However, Davies views are in conflict with the views of influential people like Prince Charles and Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt, who are in favour of homeopathy. The NHS also backs homeopathy, which can be seen it's spending of around four million pounds annually on funding homeopathic hospitals, prescriptions and referrals.
According to the Department of Health, it is the choice of local NHS organisations whether they want to fund homeopathic treatments or not. Homeopathy claims to prevent and treat diseases using diluted forms of plants, herbs and minerals. Fifteen per cent of Britons have used homeopathy at some point in their lives.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready