Espionage case: Pak diplomat in Colombo named in Tamil Nadu FIR
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
A Pakistan High Commission diplomat in Sri Lanka has been named in the FIR filed by Tamil Nadu police in the suspected espionage case busted in Thanjavur district recently, a senior police officer said.
"We have named Amir Zubair Siddiqui, a diplomat in the Pakistan High Commission based in Colombo in the case busted recently. The FIR has his name," 'Q' Branch Superintendent of Police Sampath Kumar said.
He said the diplomat's name has been added to the FIR, "based on the statement of Thamim Ansari," who was arrested on Monday last by state intelligence while he was heading for Tiruchirapalli airport to take a flight to Colombo.
Twenty five CDs and photographs of various important installations in the state were reportedly seized from him.
The diplomat is believed to have instructed Ansari to take visuals of defence establishments in India and pass it on to him, sources said.
"A detailed inquiry will bring out more information in the case and who are all behind this," another officer said.
Ansari, a native of Athirampattinam near Pattukottai in Thanjavur district of Tamil Nadu, was exporting onions to Sri Lanka. He had developed contact with the diplomat, who reportedly asked him to send the photographs.
According to Ansari, the diplomat had wanted pictures of Naval stations, Coast Guard station and Army installations in the state, police said.
He was produced before a local court which remanded him to judicial custody till October 1.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress