Evangelist K A Paul arrested in murder conspiracy case
- Lies being spread that govt will scrap reservation: PM Modi
- Bihar polls: PM Modi's rally at Bhabhua tomorrow gets EC clearance
- Policy decision on combat role for women soon, says Defence Minister Parrikar
- Delhi: 4-year-old girl raped, found bleeding near railway tracks
- K P Oli elected as new Prime Minister of Nepal
Andhra Pradesh police today arrested evangelist K A Paul for allegedly conspiring to kill a person.
Paul was charged under IPC sections 120 B (for hatching criminal conspiracy to abduct) and 307 (attempt to murder), Raghurami Reddy, Superintendent of Police (Prakasam), said.
He is also facing a charge under Prevention of Corruption Act, the SP said.
According to the police, Paul tried to eliminate Koteswara Rao, the main accused in the case related to murder of Paul's brother, Daniel.
Daniel was found dead on a highway in 2010 under mysterious circumstances.
"Paul was arrested for conspiring to eliminate Koteswara. He had tried to lure a police official by offering a bribe to kill Koteswar in (fake) encounter," Reddy said.
Paul allegedly offered Rs 1 crore to a police inspector, and paid Rs 3 lakh as advance.
Paul, who was in Ongole to campaign for his outfit 'Praja Shanti Party' for the ensuing by-polls, was remanded to judicial custody after he was produced in a local court.
The evangelist came into news after he alleged that Y S Rajasekhara Reddy, the then chief minister, had demanded Rs 20 crore from him for election funds.
Paul said he had refused to give the money. Later he floated his own party.