Evangelist K A Paul arrested in murder conspiracy case
- GST Bill in Rajya Sabha this week, Jaitley to discuss amendments with state finance ministers
- Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio 2016 Olympics participation under threat
- AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan arrested for threatening a woman
- Kin of missing AN-32 passengers, crew: Across the country, they wait for word, hoping and praying
- Kashmir unrest: Of 317 with pellet injuries in action by CRPF, over 50% have been hit in eye
Andhra Pradesh police today arrested evangelist K A Paul for allegedly conspiring to kill a person.
Paul was charged under IPC sections 120 B (for hatching criminal conspiracy to abduct) and 307 (attempt to murder), Raghurami Reddy, Superintendent of Police (Prakasam), said.
He is also facing a charge under Prevention of Corruption Act, the SP said.
According to the police, Paul tried to eliminate Koteswara Rao, the main accused in the case related to murder of Paul's brother, Daniel.
Daniel was found dead on a highway in 2010 under mysterious circumstances.
"Paul was arrested for conspiring to eliminate Koteswara. He had tried to lure a police official by offering a bribe to kill Koteswar in (fake) encounter," Reddy said.
Paul allegedly offered Rs 1 crore to a police inspector, and paid Rs 3 lakh as advance.
Paul, who was in Ongole to campaign for his outfit 'Praja Shanti Party' for the ensuing by-polls, was remanded to judicial custody after he was produced in a local court.
The evangelist came into news after he alleged that Y S Rajasekhara Reddy, the then chief minister, had demanded Rs 20 crore from him for election funds.
Paul said he had refused to give the money. Later he floated his own party.
- The recent violence against Dalits in Gujarat is a fallout of the Sangh Parivar’s diktats on food
- Turkey’s coup reveals the fragile relationship between Islam and democracy
- The Sangh Parivar has furthered the colonial understanding of India’s past
- Better state support and supportive social environment can help independent filmmakers
- Next Door Nepal: Chinese checkers
- Kashmir unrest: A to-do list for PM Modi