Eve teasing case: Cop killer Rana got plum post in lieu of support to SAD
- What signal is Obama administration sending by selling more F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan?
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurates 'Make in India Week' in Mumbai
- JNU student leader held on ‘sedition’ charges over Afzal Guru event
- JNU arrests over Afzal Guru event are ill-judged, threatens basic rights
- Live updates from the David Headley deposition before Mumbai court
It's only three years ago that Ranjit Singh Rana, the prime accused in the murder of ASI Ravinderpal Singh, came to stay at Chheharta after selling his agricultural land that's said to be six acres. A native of Chiddan near the border town of Attari, he now lived near Japani Mill. Rana is married and the couple have a child. He is also said to be a businessman dealing in real estate.
What is of interest is his parachute entry into SAD with a plum post — he was made general secretary in September. SAD's Amritsar (urban) president Upkar Singh Sandhu said Rana "switched over from the Congress, supported SAD candidate during the municipal polls, and was given the post as per a commitment made to him in lieu of his support".
His name figures in the recently issued SAD directory as general secretary (west). Sandhu added that Rana's "identity card had been withheld" as he was to be appointed as circle leader but was mistakenly mentioned as general secretary in the directory.