Eve teasing case: Cop killer Rana got plum post in lieu of support to SAD
- Missile Technology Control Regime welcomes India as full member
- Who will replace Raghuram Rajan? Shortlist narrowed down to four, officials say
- Lionel Messi retires: Have we seen the last of Argentina's 'second best'?
- Under attack from Subramanian Swamy, Arun Jaitley wants party to act
- 2008 Malegaon blasts case: When five witnesses became two and gave new versions
It's only three years ago that Ranjit Singh Rana, the prime accused in the murder of ASI Ravinderpal Singh, came to stay at Chheharta after selling his agricultural land that's said to be six acres. A native of Chiddan near the border town of Attari, he now lived near Japani Mill. Rana is married and the couple have a child. He is also said to be a businessman dealing in real estate.
What is of interest is his parachute entry into SAD with a plum post — he was made general secretary in September. SAD's Amritsar (urban) president Upkar Singh Sandhu said Rana "switched over from the Congress, supported SAD candidate during the municipal polls, and was given the post as per a commitment made to him in lieu of his support".
His name figures in the recently issued SAD directory as general secretary (west). Sandhu added that Rana's "identity card had been withheld" as he was to be appointed as circle leader but was mistakenly mentioned as general secretary in the directory.
- Donald Trump could lead the US back to a past it had moved on from
- EU must confront its failures, far right movements in Europe will become stronger
- Circumstantial and documentary evidence appear overlooked in the Gulberg Society verdict
- Language requires update to reflect growing female presence in 'male' spheres
- Eleanor Zelliot introduced Ambedkar and the Dalit movement to the West
- Across the aisle- Economic reforms: Act I, Scene I