Eve teasing case: Cop killer Rana got plum post in lieu of support to SAD
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
It's only three years ago that Ranjit Singh Rana, the prime accused in the murder of ASI Ravinderpal Singh, came to stay at Chheharta after selling his agricultural land that's said to be six acres. A native of Chiddan near the border town of Attari, he now lived near Japani Mill. Rana is married and the couple have a child. He is also said to be a businessman dealing in real estate.
What is of interest is his parachute entry into SAD with a plum post — he was made general secretary in September. SAD's Amritsar (urban) president Upkar Singh Sandhu said Rana "switched over from the Congress, supported SAD candidate during the municipal polls, and was given the post as per a commitment made to him in lieu of his support".
His name figures in the recently issued SAD directory as general secretary (west). Sandhu added that Rana's "identity card had been withheld" as he was to be appointed as circle leader but was mistakenly mentioned as general secretary in the directory.
There are three licensed weapons — .315 bore rifle, .12 bore gun and .32 bore revolver — in his name, the maximum one person can have, as per the police. The police said that no past criminal record of Rana has come to light so far. Cabinet Minister Bikram Singh Majithia endorsed the police statement.