Eve teasing case: Cop killer Rana got plum post in lieu of support to SAD
- Earthquake of magnitude 6.0 hits Afghanistan, tremors felt in north india
- Modi sarkar on right track to bring 'achche din': LK Advani
- Army officer injured in encounter with militants in J&K's Kupwara district
- Modi in Malaysia: Religion should be delinked from terror, says PM
- US 'will not relent' in Islamic State campaign, says Barack Obama
It's only three years ago that Ranjit Singh Rana, the prime accused in the murder of ASI Ravinderpal Singh, came to stay at Chheharta after selling his agricultural land that's said to be six acres. A native of Chiddan near the border town of Attari, he now lived near Japani Mill. Rana is married and the couple have a child. He is also said to be a businessman dealing in real estate.
What is of interest is his parachute entry into SAD with a plum post — he was made general secretary in September. SAD's Amritsar (urban) president Upkar Singh Sandhu said Rana "switched over from the Congress, supported SAD candidate during the municipal polls, and was given the post as per a commitment made to him in lieu of his support".
His name figures in the recently issued SAD directory as general secretary (west). Sandhu added that Rana's "identity card had been withheld" as he was to be appointed as circle leader but was mistakenly mentioned as general secretary in the directory.
- Open channels of communication are vital for democracy and governance
- Slogans should be backed with appropriate strategies, else they remain showbiz
- Ideas seem to be the BJP’s enemy, whether from within or from without
- No country is ready to send boots on the ground, thus ensuring the survival of the IS
- Bad monsoon memories
- Across the aisle: A flat growth rate indicates India's economy is in poor shape