Evening daily publishes ‘morphed’ photo of Sikh gurus posted on Facebook, protesters vandalise office
- Pakistan court declares 26/11 accused Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi's detention void
- Chairs broken, MLAs faint in Kerala Assembly as Finance Minister KM Mani presents budget
- ‘Love jihad’ gets a Bengal reply: Bahu lao, Beti bachao, ‘purify’ Muslim brides
- Kolkata Park Street rape victim dies
- LIVE: PM Modi arrives in Sri Lanka; assures visa on arrival for Lankan nationals
Members of Sikh organisations under the banner of the Baba Buddha Ji Gurmat Granthi Sabha on Friday vandalised the office of the evening daily `Khuli Soch' near Gill Road, for hurting their sentiments after the paper published morphed pictures of Sikh gurus that had been posted on Facebook.
The protesters set fire to furniture in the newspaper's office and shouted slogans against the daily. They later blocked traffic on the Canal Road. They called of their agitation after police lodged an FIR against Rajesh Sharma, the paper's Editor, and Sahib Sandhu - an employee.
The objectionable pictures had been posted on Facebook by miscreants, which the paper carried.
Editor Rajesh Sharma said the paper had carried the pictured to condemn those who had posted them. He added that it was not the newspaper's intention to harm sentiments of anyone.
Jagdev Singh, chairman of Sabha said that it hurt the sentiments of the masses in general. Secretary Gurdeep Singh, Bhupinder Singh, Baba Jaspal Singh, Surinder Singh, Pritam Singh were also present in the protest.