Evening daily publishes ‘morphed’ photo of Sikh gurus posted on Facebook, protesters vandalise office
- Arvind Kejriwal hits back at Jung on cancelling secy appointments
- US releases documents recovered in raid that killed Osama bin Laden
- Al Qaeda describes 26/11 Mumbai attack as 'heroic Fidai', 'blessed' operation
- Key member of Modi's poll campaign team likely to work for Nitish Kumar
- Food inspectors order recall of Maggi noodles, say it contains excess lead
Members of Sikh organisations under the banner of the Baba Buddha Ji Gurmat Granthi Sabha on Friday vandalised the office of the evening daily `Khuli Soch' near Gill Road, for hurting their sentiments after the paper published morphed pictures of Sikh gurus that had been posted on Facebook.
The protesters set fire to furniture in the newspaper's office and shouted slogans against the daily. They later blocked traffic on the Canal Road. They called of their agitation after police lodged an FIR against Rajesh Sharma, the paper's Editor, and Sahib Sandhu - an employee.
The objectionable pictures had been posted on Facebook by miscreants, which the paper carried.
Editor Rajesh Sharma said the paper had carried the pictured to condemn those who had posted them. He added that it was not the newspaper's intention to harm sentiments of anyone.
Jagdev Singh, chairman of Sabha said that it hurt the sentiments of the masses in general. Secretary Gurdeep Singh, Bhupinder Singh, Baba Jaspal Singh, Surinder Singh, Pritam Singh were also present in the protest.