Ex-Army jawan foils robbery bid in Ghaziabad, one accused dead
- Sahara chief Subrata Roy arrested in Lucknow, says he was not absconding
- Chhattisgarh: Six policemen killed in Naxal ambush
- Govt hikes DA by 10% for 80 lakh employees & pensioners
- In countdown to polls, UPA govt pushes for dozen cabinet proposals to beat model code of conduct
- Tarun Tejpal among three booked for possession of phones inside Goa jail
A robber was killed in a shootout between him and the man whose shop he was trying to rob along with three accomplices.
Police said the dead man was yet to be identified.
They said his accomplices first shot at retired Army jawan Prakash Chand, who accosted the robbers with help of neighbours. The accomplices, however, managed to escape.
According to police, the incident took place around 2 am in the Vijaynagar area of Ghaziabad. "The four robbers entered Chand's hardware store with an intention to steal. Chand was in his home, right next to the shop.
Movement inside the shop alerted Chand and he called one of his neighbours to help him nab them. The robbers first shot at the two with country-made weapons. Chand fired back with his licensed weapon. Hearing the commotion, more neighbours rushed out to help Chand," a senior officer said.
"The man who died has a gunshot wound in the neck. However, even after he was shot, he tried to escape. He became disoriented and crashed head on into a pillar and fell. It is possible that the cause of death was a head injury which he sustained in the crash. The post-mortem report is awaited. We are looking for the three who got away. A case of attempted robbery has been registered," a senior police officer said.
Senior officers added that a mobile phone was recovered from the man who died.
"The phone is registered in the name of a woman who lives in the area. We suspect that it could have been stolen and are looking into the matter. We will arrest the other three men soon," the officer said.
- Love and thereabouts
- Youth Akali Dal leaders open fire in front of Akali leader’s home, 3 hurt
- Raarewala market: Shopkeepers threaten LS election boycott; Ayali, mayor swing into action
- Techie murder: 2 months on, cops land in UP on wild goose chase, lens on taxi, auto drivers
- Deoband cleric declares support for Narendra Modi
- Row in British parliament complex over Narendra Modi’s past