Ex-chief secy, IAS officer granted bail
- EC issues show cause notice to Mulayam Singh Yadav for violation of poll code
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: KXIP chase 206, beat CSK by six wickets
The Allahabad High Court has granted bail to former Chief Secretary of Uttar Pradesh Neera Yadav and IAS officer Rajiv Kumar, who were convicted by a special CBI court in Ghaziabad on November 21 in connection with the Noida land scam. The two had been sentenced to three-year rigorous imprisonment.
Both the convicts were already on interim bail having deposited personal bonds of Rs 1 lakh each, before the lower court which had given 30-day time to file an appeal in the High Court.
The bail was granted by a single judge bench of Justice Mohammad Tahir on December 5. Hearing separate petitions for bail and staying the conviction of Yadav and Kumar, the court found substance in the similar arguments extended by their respective counsels and granted bail. The court took note of the fact that the convicts were on bail already and had not misused the liberty. The court has also admitted their appeal against the convictions by the lower court.
The case, in which conviction took place on November 21, pertained to alleged allotment of plot to Kumar in violation of the rules. Yadav, who was then chairperson of Noida, had allotted the plot to Kumar, who was the deputy CEO, misusing her official position.
Yadav was earlier convicted in a case pertaining to land allotment back in December 2010 too. She was already granted bail by the High Court after she appealed against the lower court order.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer