Ex-constable among 6 held for gunrunning
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
A former constable of Central Reserve Police Force was among six persons arrested in a gunrunning racket on Thursday. Ravinder Kumar (28), police said, was removed from CRPF after a criminal case was filed against him in Haryana.
Police said Ravinder, Satish Kumar (25), Vinod Kumar (28), Jitender (35), Anil (24) and Raju (34) were arrested and six sophisticated weapons were recovered from them. A Tata Indigo car and a stolen motorcycle were also seized.
"Given the rising trend of using illegal arms and ammunition in snatching and robberies, we had launched an extensive drive to apprehend criminals. On Tuesday, information was received that four people, involved in illicit arm trafficking, would come to Southwest Delhi in the evening. During checking, four of the accused were apprehended while they were inside the Indigo car. They had sophisticated weapons with them," Additional Commissioner of Police (Southwest) A K Ojha said.
Their questioning led to the arrest of the other two. "They used to procure weapons from Meerut, UP, and sell them in Haryana and Delhi at high prices," Ojha said.
(Ifrah Mufti is a student of Express Institute of Media Studies)