Ex-councillor distributes 10-month salary among safai workers
- Why Germanwings flight A320 might have crashed over the French Alps
- Indian Navy surveillance aircraft crashes in Goa; two officers missing
- Section 66A: 21 individuals whose petitions changed the system
- Government is willing to compromise on land bill: Venkaiah Naidu
- A little reminder: No one in House debated Section 66A, Congress brought it and BJP backed it
At a time when politicians mostly hit the headlines for their involvement in corruption, here comes a story with a difference. Sushil Raju Thaper, former Congress councillor from ward number 29, distributed his 10-month salary among 150 safai workers of his ward here on Sunday.
A councillor in the previous term, Thaper had got a monthly salary of Rs 12,000 till September 6 this year. He has been distributing it for the past 11 years after keeping Re 1 per month. "Though I am not a councillor now, this custom will continue even in the coming years as well," he said.
His custom has been to withdraw salary out of his bank account only near Diwali and after keeping Rs 12 for 12 months, distribute the rest among the class four workers in his ward.
On Saturday, he distributed blankets and sweets to the sweepers.