Exit warning to CM from Muslim group
- 20 jawans feared dead as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Missing Malaysia airline: Man travelling on stolen passport identified as Iranian
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
Furfura Sharif Tells Mamata to fulfil poll promises or prepare to be 'thrown out'
A muslim leader who was largely responsible for tilting the minority vote bank in favour of Mamata Banerjee during the last Assembly polls on Wednesday sent out a warning to the chief minister, saying her government would be thrown out just like the CPM's if she did not fulfil the promises she made to the Muslims before the polls.
Addressing a gathering at Kolkata's Rani Rashmoni Square, Furfura Sharif Pirzada Toha Siddiqui said, "If you still don't make amends, this is only quarter-final, after three and a half years of your tenure, I will play semi-final and after four and a half years, there would be final," pointing to the upcoming panchayat elections, 2014 Lok Sabha elections and 2016 Assembly elections, respectively.
Later, talking to The Indian Express, Siddiqui said that before Mamata became the chief minister, she had given several assurances to the Muslims. "We understand that 18 months is not enough to make amends for all the wrongdoings of 32 years (of CPM's rule) but it is highly unfair and a lie on the part of the CM to claim that she had done 99 per cent of whatever she had promised to the Muslims of the state," he said.
He said that while the people wanted the party to be in power for another 15-20 years, Trinamool Congress leaders itself thought that they would not last for more than five years and are trying to make the most of it.
He added that Mamata had assured that there would be a CBI probe into the encroachment on Wakf property across the state but no inquiry happened in the last 18 months.
Talking about reservation for Muslims, he said, "We demand 20 per cent reservation for the minority community. She chants slogans about Junglemahal all the time but when it comes to recruiting people from there in the police force, only one out of 500 is a Muslim. I request her to look into these. She should ensure 20 per cent reservation for Muslims right from school to the university level so that Muslims are made industry-ready and after studies they get good jobs."
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express