Ex-Justice Sekhon takes oath as Punjab Lokpal
- Delhi High Court raps MCD for strike, says common people are suffering
- Delhi air will never be safe because of its geographical disadvantage: Panel tells High Court
- Tanzanian student targeted because she was black, says envoy
- Supreme Court tells BCCI: Fall in line, Lodha panel report deserves respect
- Adarsh scam: CBI gets Maha Governor's nod to prosecute Ashok Chavan
Punjab Governor and Chandigarh Administrator, Shivraj Patil here today administered the oath of allegiance to Justice (retd) Jai Singh Sekhon as Lokpal, Punjab at a brief ceremony held at the Raj Bhavan.
Punjab Chief Minister, Parkash Singh Badal, some other political leaders from the State, besides family members of Justice Sekhon were among others present on the occasion.
Earlier, Punjab's main opposition party the Congress had said that for the sake of "moral and judicial propriety" Justice Sekhon should have declined to be the Punjab Lokpal as his brother Janmeja Singh Sekhon is a minister in the Punjab government.
Leader of Opposition in the Punjab Assembly, Sunil Jakhar had recently claimed that Justice Sekhon's appointment "defied moral and judicial propriety."
"Suppose a complaint comes against his own brother Janmeja Sekhon as he happens to be a minister in the state government, how will he (Justice) act and decide the case in an impartial manner," Jakhar had questioned.