Ex-Justice Sekhon takes oath as Punjab Lokpal
- Quota row: Curfew imposed in Gujarat's Mehsana district
- Indrani Mukherjea, former Star TV CEO Peter Mukherjea's wife, arrested on murder charge
- India's population 121.09 crore; Hindus 79.8 pc, Muslims 14.2 pc: Census
- Kejriwal meets PM Modi, talks about better Centre-State relation
- BJP registers comfortable win in Bengaluru civic polls, setback for Congress
Punjab Governor and Chandigarh Administrator, Shivraj Patil here today administered the oath of allegiance to Justice (retd) Jai Singh Sekhon as Lokpal, Punjab at a brief ceremony held at the Raj Bhavan.
Punjab Chief Minister, Parkash Singh Badal, some other political leaders from the State, besides family members of Justice Sekhon were among others present on the occasion.
Earlier, Punjab's main opposition party the Congress had said that for the sake of "moral and judicial propriety" Justice Sekhon should have declined to be the Punjab Lokpal as his brother Janmeja Singh Sekhon is a minister in the Punjab government.
Leader of Opposition in the Punjab Assembly, Sunil Jakhar had recently claimed that Justice Sekhon's appointment "defied moral and judicial propriety."
"Suppose a complaint comes against his own brother Janmeja Sekhon as he happens to be a minister in the state government, how will he (Justice) act and decide the case in an impartial manner," Jakhar had questioned.