Ex-Justice Sekhon takes oath as Punjab Lokpal
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
Punjab Governor and Chandigarh Administrator, Shivraj Patil here today administered the oath of allegiance to Justice (retd) Jai Singh Sekhon as Lokpal, Punjab at a brief ceremony held at the Raj Bhavan.
Punjab Chief Minister, Parkash Singh Badal, some other political leaders from the State, besides family members of Justice Sekhon were among others present on the occasion.
Earlier, Punjab's main opposition party the Congress had said that for the sake of "moral and judicial propriety" Justice Sekhon should have declined to be the Punjab Lokpal as his brother Janmeja Singh Sekhon is a minister in the Punjab government.
Leader of Opposition in the Punjab Assembly, Sunil Jakhar had recently claimed that Justice Sekhon's appointment "defied moral and judicial propriety."
"Suppose a complaint comes against his own brother Janmeja Sekhon as he happens to be a minister in the state government, how will he (Justice) act and decide the case in an impartial manner," Jakhar had questioned.
The Punjab government on November 9 appointed Justice Sekhon, former Judge of Punjab and Haryana High Court as Lokpal of the state.