Ex-MLA Pappu Kalani gets life for 1990 murder
- Rahul Gandhi brings up Narendra Modi's marital status at Doda rally
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Why should I condemn it, asks Deve Gowda on Mulayam Singh's 'rape' remark
- Congress rakes up Vajpayee's Rajdharma remark post 2002 Gujarat riots to take on Modi
- Those with blood on their hands should not speak about the country: Mamata
- After Mulayam's rape shocker, Abu Azmi suggests death for sex 'with or without consent'
A Kalyan sessions court on Tuesday sentenced former Ulhasnagar MLA Pappu Kalani and three others to life imprisonment for the murder of BJP activist Inder Bhateja in 1990. Sessions judge Rajeshwari Bapat Sarkar had on Saturday convicted Kalani, Bachie Pandey, Baba Gabriel and Harshad Shaikh. While Pandey, Gabriel and Shaikh were held guilty of murder, Kalani was held guilty of being part of the conspiracy.
Inder was killed barely two months after his brother Ghanshyam Bhateja was shot dead on February 27, 1990. At the time, while Kalani was contesting the Ulhasnagar Assembly seat as a Congress candidate, the Bhateja brothers were supporters of the BJP candidate Sheetaldas Harchandani. The brothers had a construction business.
According to the prosecution, during polling on February 27, when the Bhatejas caught Kalani's associates casting bogus votes, they were threatened with dire consequences. The same evening, allegedly on Kalani's instructions, the accused gunned down Ghanshyam in front of Pinto Park Hotel, while Inder managed to escape but was later gunned down.