Expelled youth Akali leaders beat up Asst IGP in Ludhiana restaurant
- Sahara chief Subrata Roy arrested in Lucknow, says he was not absconding
- Congress core group meets today over anti-graft ordinances pushed by Rahul
- Chhattisgarh: Six policemen killed in Naxal ambush
- IPL betting probe: Senior Tamil Nadu cop suspended for violation of 'conduct rules'
- Govt hikes DA by 10% for 80 lakh employees & pensioners
Close on the heels of a Shiromani Akali Dal leader shooting down an ASI on December 5, an Assistant Inspector General of police (Counter Intelligence), S S Mand, was thrashed at a restaurant in Ludhiana by a few men led by the owner and expelled Youth Akali Dal leader Maninder Pal Singh.
The incident happened when Mand along with his wife and three other couples, including an NRI couple, arrived at the restaurant, The Hub in Ghumar Mandi, for dinner. The NRI, Paramjit Singh Passi, entered into an argument with a staffer there and a scuffle broke out between them.
When the other staff members ganged up against Passi, Mand tried to intervene in a bid to resolve the fight. However, he was thrashed by the staff led by Maninder.
In the commotion, Mand apparently fell on the ground and fractured his right leg. Passi and his friends took him to DMC Hospital where he underwent a surgery. Mand is yet to record his statement.
ADGP (Intelligence) and spokesman for Punjab Police, H S Dhillon, said Maninder and his accomplices also snatched Passi's licenced .32 bore revolver. "A case under various IPC and Arms Act including attempt to murder has been registered against Maninder, Jaskirat Singh and Rishi Banda and several other unknown persons based on a complaint by Passi," he said.
Meanwhile, SAD spokesman Daljeet Singh Cheema clarified that Maninder, Jaskirat and Rishi were not part of the party or its youth wing. He said while Maninder was senior vice-president of Youth Akali Dal (YAD) in Ludhiana, Rishi was vice-president at the same place.
They were expelled on May 29 along with Jaskirat Singh who was YAD Amritsar vice-president for anti-party activities during the municipal polls.
"Till now no arrests have been made and police have been sent to different places to nab them," Dhillon said. Sources said the police have raided the restaurant and seized the CCTV footage from there.
- Love and thereabouts
- Youth Akali Dal leaders open fire in front of Akali leader’s home, 3 hurt
- Raarewala market: Shopkeepers threaten LS election boycott; Ayali, mayor swing into action
- Techie murder: 2 months on, cops land in UP on wild goose chase, lens on taxi, auto drivers
- Deoband cleric declares support for Narendra Modi
- Row in British parliament complex over Narendra Modi’s past