Expo to showcase self-defence for women
- Union Cabinet recommends President's Rule in Arunachal Pradesh
- Rafale jet deal on right track, says French President Hollande ahead of India visit
- Three girls commit suicide in Tamil Nadu, blaming college, high fees
- Tavleen Singh's column: Could Rohith have been saved?
- Netaji files: Centre rejected probe reports twice, to assert ‘Bose dead’
The Haryana police has come up with another concept to curb increasing crimes against women, particularly rape, by holding exhibitions in various districts. The Haryana Police will also be exhibiting "self-defence kits" for women. The exhibition is scheduled to be launched next week in Karnal, followed by other districts.
"Various kinds of self-defence equipment, including stunguns, powders and pepper sprays will be displayed during these exhibitions and women will be encouraged to keep such equipment in their possession to avoid any untoward situation," Haryana's State Crime Records Bureau's (SCRB) director L R Dabas said. The senior IPS officer has also written to top educational institutions asking their students to design posters, placards, photographs on the themes of crime against women and women safety. The top 10 posters will be selected.
The idea was floated by Dabas, who has already sent communications to as many as 50 heads of colleges and universities. "The exhibitions will be held so that people could be sensitised on repurcussions of raping or teasing women. Through these posters and banners we will be sensitising people on definition of rape and its punishment, ideas to prevent such crime, technical equipments, role of police and people, self-defence and crime control," said Dabas.