Express 5: A worrisome report card and some legislators all worried
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
The last day of year, your first take of the best Indian Express stories.
1. SLIPPING INDEX: The 'Inclusix' index, compiled by rating agency Crisil and launched by Finance Minister P Chidambaram earlier this year, is to be a ready reckoner on how the states and districts have fared on financial inclusion. Sonia Gandhi's Rae Bareli is among the rare districts where the score has turned adverse on all counts.
2. OUSTER MOVE: It might finally be time for Justice A K Ganguly to go. The home ministry has moved a Cabinet note to make a Presidential reference to the Supreme Court in the sexual misconduct case, setting into motion the process to remove the former Supreme Court judge from the post of West Bengal Human Rights Commission chairman.
MHA readies Cabinet note to remove Ganguly from WBHRC by Pranab Dhal Samanta
3. EXODUS IN CONG: Facing an anti-Congress sentiment in Coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema districts due to bifurcation of the state even as Assembly elections are set to be held next year along with the Lok Sabha polls, many MLAs fear that even if they are re-nominated by the Congress, they may lose the polls.
4. TRANSITIONS, 2013: Has 2013 secretly been the year of change we had pegged 2014 to be? Politically, it was not supposed to add up to much — it was to be a mere prelude to 2014, the year of the general elections. But the big change might have come a year early.
Transitions, 2013 by Seema Chishti