Express 5: India joins elite club and Chhattisgarh DGP seeks land reforms
- Shooting in US military base leaves four persons dead, 14 injured
- Pakistan: Pervez Musharraf survives assassination bid in Islamabad
- IPL officials, owners and 12 players named in secret report to Supreme Court
- Narendra Modi Pak, US dono ko thhokega: BJP South Delhi candidate Ramesh Bidhuri
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Amethi admin rejects Rahul's residence proof; BJP complains against Azam and Beni
A selection of five special Indian Express stories you must read before beginning your day.
1. JOINING THE ELITE CLUB: Dogged by setbacks and failure over the last six years, the heavy lift GSLV D5, which has the capacity to put satellites weighing over 2,000 kg in space, launched the 1,982 kg GSAT-14 communication satellite and put it in a near perfect orbit on Sunday.
2. PENNING DOWN CONCERN: Chhattisgarh Director General of Police (DGP) Ramniwas pushed for "much-needed land reforms" to mitigate "severe injustices in land rights" in a book that he has edited — titled Land Scenario in Chhattisgarh. Ashutosh Bhardwaj gives details on how After Maoists, Chhattisgarh DGP seeks land reforms in Bastar
3. OFFERING ALTERNATIVE POLITICS In a state where politics has long lived under the shadow of dynasty and caste, local AAP leaders in Haryana say there is a conscious effort to portray the party as an alternative to this history. Dipankar Ghose reports on the efforts by AAP in Hoping to ride on Delhi wave, AAP begins Haryana campaign
4. UNHOLY ACT Varma, 53, who sports a flowing beard and white robes, is a nephew of late Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, controls an empire, and commands a large following. Varma and his followers insist he is celibate but the teacher's husband says it is a sham.
5. A flashback to victory: Sanjaya Baru explains how PM risked his government by taking an initiative on the India-US nuclear deal, and he triumphed.
- Panel points out holes in report on trees cut, writes to civic chief
- Man who made hoax calls to Jet Airways acquitted
- Metro not quite a vote puller for people in areas it runs
- Stir ends, BEST postpones new work schedule to June 1
- RBI banks on Bandhan, trusts Kolkata NBFC with rare licence
- Gujarat to Supreme Court: Woman knew of snooping, was thankful