Express 5: Trouble for CM in Himachal, but some good news from Panna
- Amit Shah moves HC against FIRs on hate speeches
- Narendra Modi tukde-tukde kar dega: Rahul Gandhi
- Defiant Azam Khan stands by Kargil won by Muslim soldiers remark, gets EC notice
- Lok Sabha elections: Polling ends in Nagaland, Manipur, Meghalaya, Arunachal
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Due to the dynastic politics, people continue to live the way they did under Mughals, says Modi
A selection of five exclusive Indian Express stories you must read before starting your day:
1. CM IN TROUBLE: A businessman who gave loans to Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh and his wife allegedly in return for favours to his firm also gave Rs 1.99 crore as interest-free, unsecured loans to a company owned by the son and daughter of the Congress CM.
2. GREEN SIGNAL: Environment Minister Veerappa Moily and Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar are learnt to have agreed that a joint affidavit should be filed in the Supreme Court, asking that field trials of genetically modified (GM) crops be allowed, albeit with "stringent conditions".
Jayanthi Natarajan line reversed, Moily and Pawar will ask SC to allow GM trials, report by Anubhuti Vishnoi and Ravish Tiwari
3. DIPLOMATIC FALLOUT: In a possible fallout of the diplomatic spat triggered by the arrest of IFS officer Devyani Khobrgade in New York, the United States has delayed the first India visit of its new Assistant Secretary of State for South Asia.
Pranab Dhal Samanta tells why Wary US delays first India visit of new Asst Secy of State
4. ROARING IN PANNA: From zero tigers in early 2009, the Panna Tiger Reserve in Madhya Pradesh now faces a problem of plenty. The number of tigers at the reserve was 23 at last count, including the five that were initially shifted from other reserves.
Milind Ghatwai brings some Good news from Panna in new year: tiger count up from zero to 23
5. REMEMBERING AN ICON: Farooq Sheikh relished being able to step into the circus ring that is Bollywood, play his part and then take his seat and watch the show.
- Walmart to launch 50 stores in big India push
- Poojary banking on ‘sympathy’ for Dakshina Kannada seat
- Solution to water woes key factor in Chikkaballapur
- Eying 85 pc turnout, election dept offers many sops
- Last day, last show: Parties flex muscles, try to connect with one & all
- From societies to slums, Adhalrao-Patil on the move