Express Money: Ask Us
- Day after Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi, Amit Shah condemns politics over surgical strikes
- Prohibition to stay in Bihar: SC stays Patna HC judgment setting aside liquor ban
- US says does not support declaring Pakistan a 'terrorist state'
- Talk on stage at Parrikar event: 200 killed, atom bomb vs atom bomb
- Hurricane Matthew: Haiti death toll rises to 339, deadly storm hits Florida
My friend and I were in need of personal loans and we both got them but at different interest rates. How is this possible with the same amount and tenure?
—Punya Patra, Delhi
Personal loan interest rates need not be the same for every individual. One key factor that determines your interest rate is your credit history, which is basically a record of your past repayment of loans and credit card bills. Before approving your loan a financial institution always checks with CIBIL on your loan repayment track record. A good repayment track record has its benefits. It could fetch you a higher loan amount at a lower interest rate as it is standing proof for your money management capabilities. In case of a bad repayment record, you will be charged high interest rates and you could also find it difficult to obtain a loan.
I took a personal loan 3 months back but I am struggling to make payments due to job loss. What should I do in this case?
—Manusi Batra, Mumbai
Do approach your bank without delay and keep them informed of the situation. To solve your immediate problem, you could try to pledge any security you have like gold, shares, and obtain a loan on them to repay your personal loan. After you obtain a new job, you can repay the loan and reclaim your pledged assets. Else, you can negotiate with the bank to try and recommence your personal loan EMIs once you land a job. You could also approach a credit counseling center for assistance. They will evaluate your finances and help you figure out a way to repay the loan; else they will try and negotiate with the bank on your behalf to come up with a solution feasible to both you and the bank.
- Revealing Elena Ferrante’s identity violates her desire for privacy
- Breakdown of LoC ceasefire will make it difficult for army to control infiltration
- Academic publishers suit shows how much they benefitted from intellectual commons
- Lack of unity has prevented Sindhi nationalists from pressuring Islamabad
- India must be prepared to deal with a disease that is growing globally
- Challenge for India’s leaders is to show that strength can be blended with subtlety & deftness