Express Money: Ask Us
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
We wish to book a flat in my name. My father and I are planning to avoid a home loan at this point of time. Can the retirement benefits (PF, gratuity, leave encashment) of my father, who is due for retirement, be used for making payments towards the cost of my flat? If yes, will there be any tax liability either on me or my father?
There are exemptions in all retirement benefits. However, there maybe limits on this exemption depending on individual situations. PF is completely exempted from tax as of now irrespective of any situation. If your father is a Central or state government employee or a defense employee or an employee in local authority, then all his retirement benefits are exempted from any tax liability. If however, this is not the case then the following rules apply. In the case of gratuity payment, exemption will be limited to half a month's salary, (on the basis of the average salary drawn in the last 10 months) for each completed year of service or Rs 3.5 lakh whichever is less. In the case of leave encashment, the exemption is limited to 10 months of leave encashment or an amount of Rs 3 lakh, whichever is lesser.
Can you advise me on how to improve my credit score with CIBIL? Since two years, EMI of my home loan and car loan are not paid regularly, and some cheques have bounced.
— KK Lashkari, Indore
If your financial situation has improved currently, prioritise your loan commitments and try to pay off all your debts. This will be updated in your CIBIL records by your bank. In order to improve your CIBIL score you can opt to use your credit card effectively by paying up dues on time every time in full and also handle future loans you may procure with great diligence. Though this will improve your credit score by leaps and bounds, you still will need to remember that your past repayment track record and your irregular EMI payments will have an impact on any future loan you might apply for and you might face difficulty in obtaining one. The bank always looks at the whole picture and does not take the credit score alone at face value when granting a loan. You may have to wait for around the mandated 7 years before you can start on a clean slate as by that time frame any defaults recorded will be discarded. Of course this still means you will have to ensure you build an impeccable repayment record within this time frame.
- Terror accused wrongly jailed for 14 yrs, NHRC notices to Home Ministry, police
- SP hints no candidates against Sonia, Rahul
- In Hills, BJP gains GJM edge
- Delhi Police forms patrol teams to check pick-pocketing in Metro
- Two months to go and EC receives myriad complaints
- Maharashtra hailstorm hits crop worth Rs 5,000 cr
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress