Ex-UP chief secy plea to quash DA case rejected
- Lalu Prasad fights rebellion, 9 MLAs back to RJD fold, blames Nitish Kumar for hatching a conspiracy
- Shinde does a u-turn, says he meant to 'crush' social media, not electronic media
- In Gujarat, 2 Congress MLAs quit to join BJP
- Kejriwal says communalism bigger threat than graft
- Leopard injures seven, Meerut locks itself in
A special court Monday rejected an application filed by former Uttar Pradesh chief secretary Akhand Pratap Singh seeking dismissal of a corruption case against him and set the case for trial in the first week of August.
Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Dinesh Kumar Sharma turned down Singh's request that the CBI case against him on disproportionate assets be dismissed on grounds that consent of the state and the central governments had not been taken prior to issuing charges and conducting investigation.
ASJ Sharma held that consent of the central government was not required in Singh's case since he belonged to the UP cadre of civil services and hence came under the control of the state government.
With reference to consent from the state government, ASJ Sharma referred to orders passed by the Allahabad High Court and the Delhi High Court, where Singh had earlier filed writ petitions on the issue.
The High Courts' orders had held that since Singh had retired and was no longer a public servant, section 6 of the Delhi Police Establishment Act which required the CBI to get government sanction prior to prosecution of a public servant was not applicable in this case.