Eye on polls, Naveen announces Re 1/kg rice
- TV channels threaten to blackout Kejriwal campaign
- Missing Malaysian jet: India clears its passengers
- BJP reacts angrily to Rahul Gandhi raking up 2002 riots issue
- BJP's 'Chai Pe Charcha' may run into Election Commission trouble
- The trophy state: Behind Mizoram's clean sweep lies an extraordinary league
Last month, the Comptroller and Auditor General of India had slammed the Rs 2 a kg rice scheme saying the government was illegally diverting rice for BPL families from the specified amount of 35 kg a month to 25 kg a month.
While the Orissa government said it was trying to cover more BPL families by reducing the allocation, the CAG in its report said by depriving the BPL families 10 kg of rice every month, the state diverted the rice involving the central subsidy of
Rs 2565.61 crore between 2002 and 2012.