F for Foodies: Gourmet Heaven
- Aamir Khan responds, says 'Proud to be Indian, stand by what I said'
- GST is in the interest of the nation, says PM Modi at all-party meet
- Rescued Russian pilot says no warning from Turkey before jet downed
- 'Suit boot ki sarkar' is failing because there are no jobs: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP strategy in Parliament: Aggression is the best form of defense
If you are among those who spend a large part of their lives trying out different cuisines, there are plenty of useful smartphone apps for you. Whether you like clicking a picture of what you eat or love to share your favourite recipes, these apps should be of interest to you.
Evernote has a family of excellent apps and 'Food' is no exception. If you love the idea of maintaining a food diary, Evernote Food is the app for you.
It is essentially a place where you can jot down what you ate with a picture. The home screen has four cards (icons) — meals, restaurants, cookbook and 'explore recipes'. As with all of the company's apps, Food lets you sync your culinary adventures on your Evernote account. You can log in to your Evernote account from any device to keep a tab on and share what you ate.
There's a '+' button at the top. Press that to add a meal. You can give the dish a title, click pictures, add the restaurant's name and put out notes on your meal. The app adds the date and time, and your location if GPS is enabled. This makes it useful for tourists.
The only problem is that the app's iOS version is miles ahead of its Android one. You cannot explore popular recipes or restaurants in the Android version, which limits it to an app for a food diary. That said, the Android app is well-designed, and works well. All your meals are displayed in neat cards with big pictures. After you add a few meals, the homescreen will look very appetising indeed.
Free (with ads), Rs 161 (ad-free)
Allthecooks is a recipe search app for Android. This app has a database of over 70,000 recipes, each with a mouth-watering picture. You can search according to dish, type of meal, cuisine or even cooking directions (roast, fry, etc).
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?
- Telescope: Aamir and Chinese whispers
- What Manmohan Singh really think about the Planning Commission?
- Going solar
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it