Facebook post case: Cops file closure report
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR face stiff CSK challenge in Dubai
The Thane (Rural) police on Tuesday filed a closure report, for lack of evidence, in the Palghar court in the case registered against Shaheen Dhada and Rinu Srinivasan for their Facebook post questioning the shutdown of the city over Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeary's death last month.
The 'C summary' report dimissed the complaint by Bhushan Sankhe "as false but not maliciouisly false and lacking sufficient evidence to prove Dhada and Srinivasan's guilt".
"On Wednesady, Sankhe will be served a show-cause notice. He will then choose to either accept the report or contest it and ask for additional investigation. The matter is now between the court and the prosecution and the girls have no role to play," said Srinivasan's lawyer Sudhir Gupta.
The police will now wait on Sankhe's decision on Wednesday before taking further action. "I have reported what I found in the course of the inevstigation and would not like to comment on it," said Vijaykant Sagar, Deputy Superintendent of Police, Boisar.
The news was welcomed by the girls and their families. "We came to know about the report in the evening and feel relieved now. It has brought a sense of closure and gives a positive message to society," said Shaheen's uncle Dr Abdul Dhada.
However, Dhada wants similar speedy action aganst the culprits who damaged his hospital on the night on November 17. "The men who were arrested initially are dummies produced by the police. There is still no chargesheet. The next logical step for me is to get justice for the damages I have incurred," he added.
The Srinivasans treated the development with slight caution. "I hope that this is the end of matter. Sankhe may want to accept the report, he may be presssured by the Shiv Sena not to. You never know what will happen," said Rinu's brother Rahul.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'